[Squeakfoundation]Shepherding large enhancements

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Jun 24 01:22:18 CEST 2003

> 1 Removals
> 2 KCP
> 3 MCP
> 4 Anthony runtime enhancements (split in two - fixes and closures)
> 5 Craig's simulator fixes
> 6 mir Network rewrite
> 7 TrueTypeTextStyle
> 8 Diego look style enhancements
> 9 Replace fonts with AccuFonts (mainly in order to remove the old -
> people can now load additional nice fonts themselves anyway).
> 10 SM 1.1
> 11 Inclusion of SM plus related packages in the release image (though
> maintained as packages, not directly by update stream).

Here's our current 3.6 plan list of larger enhancements/tasks.  Right
now, we have 4 1/2 of these done... maybe we'll get a couple more in
before the end of the week.  They've been moving along somewhat slowly
for various reasons.

For larger enhancements, specifically these ones singled out for the
3.6 release, I wonder if it would help to assign a guide or harvester
as a "shepherd" for each one.  Someone who would be responsible for
tracking progress on the enhancement and deciding when enough review
has happened and when it's ready to go in.  Right now, there's not
really anyone responsible for most of these, so it sort of falls to me
to make sure something happens, or a random person complaining on one
of the mailing lists.  I don't really have time to handle all of these
myself.

I remember Goran hinted at something like this with his PROP proposal
or whatever it was.  But just something simple like assigning people to
shepherd these items might help things get done.

Does this make sense?

- Doug