[Squeakfoundation]Shepherding large enhancements

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Jun 26 12:21:46 CEST 2003

Hi Göran,

A silent thought:
> IMHO SM1.1 can wait until early 3.7. Even if it breaks my
> heart to admit it. :-)

It can't wait any longer than 3.6. I've mentioned this before but things
will get critical with 3.6. Once significant packages are permanently hosted
outside the Squeak image it means we'll have some serious trouble
maintaining these without SM1.1. For example, consider the VMMaker package -
if that gets "out of sync" during 3.7alpha we're really screwed. The same
holds for a number of packages but VMMaker is probably the most critical in
this regard.

If we really want these packages to live permanently outside the image then
we need SM1.1. Everything else is going to be one big mess and the longer
(in terms of releases) we have to wait before it comes the worse it'll get.

Cheers,
  - Andreas