[Squeakfoundation]Shepherding large enhancements

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Jun 26 13:02:56 CEST 2003

<diegogomezdeck at consultar.com> wrote:
> [WARNING: The virus "shouting to show I'm right" infected some emails]

> >> Hmmm. And then people - WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY THIS WHEN THE 3.6 PLAN WAS
> >> POSTED???
> >
> > Ahh, that is so right. And also -
> > SO WHY DO YOU WAKE UP NOW, INSTEAD OF WAKING UP A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO
> > WHEN WE FIRST SAID WHAT WASN'T GOING TO BE READY, AND START REVIEWING
> > LIKE THERE'S NO TOMMORROW???
>
> Am I suscribed to the same list than you?
>
> I'm reading email like the stef's one for weeks!
>
> > Ok, got that out of my system, phew. Sorry ;-)
>
> The next time try a key labeled [BACKSPACE] after shouting instead of a
> simple "sorry" that doesn't help.

We all know that none of us are *really* angry. Let's drop it. Ok?

> Try it! I used several times!
>
> > BTW, I'm glad to see more people doing the BFAV thing, and advancing
> > the process, but this doesn't clash with making a release in any way
> > whatsoever. People can go on coding and reviewing and advancing Squeak
> > right through beta and gamma - harvesters will simply have a slightly
> > bigger pile when we enter 3.7 alpha.
>
> The point is so simple:
>
> - Some of us don't share the direction that squeak-guides choose.  That is,
> in fact, no direction at all.

Don't agree. We have a direction.

> - Some of us simply don't want to acept that squeak is becoming the "next
> php/python/ruby/linux" instead of the environment where the ideas and
> concepts can be tried and evolved for the next 20 years.

Nobody has said that Squeak is going to become any one of those. In fact
- the Guides today are generally very open for new stuff - none of the
die-hard "keep Squeak as Smalltalk-80 forever" people are actually
represented.

> - Before trying a fork we decided to wait for the promises of tha new
> process. (It's include the SM11 configuration maps)

Before trying a fork? Ok, news to me. But sure, lots of stuff happens
outside of the list of course. SM11 load scripts are coming - and that
is a promise. I just can't promise exactly when. But during the summer
is a promise.

> - We're wasting our limited time in bureaucracy instead of just creating
> new stuff.

This is so very easy to say when you are sitting on the side. If you
read the mission statement of the Guides (which I do hope you share the
ideas of) you will see that our mission is NOT to simply "create new
stuff". If we all did that everything would collapse. Somebody needs to
plan, harvest, handle updates, feed the mailinglist etc. And build
infrastructure like SM.

Diego, perhaps you should step in as a Guide instead of me? I am
serious. We *did* say that the Guides should rotate, read
http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/squeakfoundation/71

Sure - we didn't say how this rotation should work - and I *do* want to
stay as a Guide, but in order to "cool things down" and if you all think
this would avoid a fork of the community then I would be willing to do
it.

> - The process is showing it's not enough to fullfit the needs of everybody.

It will never do that. But I don't share your view that it is failing -
in fact, I think it is looking brighter by the day.