[Squeakfoundation]Shepherding large enhancements

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Jun 26 12:39:16 CEST 2003

Hi!

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Göran,
>
> A silent thought:
> > IMHO SM1.1 can wait until early 3.7. Even if it breaks my
> > heart to admit it. :-)
>
> It can't wait any longer than 3.6. I've mentioned this before but things
> will get critical with 3.6. Once significant packages are permanently hosted
> outside the Squeak image it means we'll have some serious trouble
> maintaining these without SM1.1. For example, consider the VMMaker package -

I know this.

> if that gets "out of sync" during 3.7alpha we're really screwed. The same
> holds for a number of packages but VMMaker is probably the most critical in
> this regard.
>
> If we really want these packages to live permanently outside the image then
> we need SM1.1. Everything else is going to be one big mess and the longer
> (in terms of releases) we have to wait before it comes the worse it'll get.

Again, I know this too. What I was saying was that the exact point in
time when we really need SM1.1 to be there for us is when the first
external package is getting ready to be released in a new release for
3.7.

That is all I am saying. I am not sure what this means for the process!
Of course I want SM1.1 to get ready yesterday but I have a job and a
life outside of Squeak. I am really trying to get time enough to push it
through during july - I have vacation all of july.

If people think that 3.6 can be released without SM1.1 then fine. Just
as long as people are aware of the fact that we will not be able to
release new versions of the externalized packages after that until SM1.1
is there.