[Squeakfoundation]Shepherding large enhancements

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Thu Jun 26 14:35:42 CEST 2003

diegogomezdeck at consultar.com wrote:
> > SO WHY DO YOU WAKE UP NOW, INSTEAD OF WAKING UP A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO
> > WHEN WE FIRST SAID WHAT WASN'T GOING TO BE READY, AND START REVIEWING
> > LIKE THERE'S NO TOMMORROW???
>
> Am I suscribed to the same list than you?
Yes, just not to the precise same point of view... :-)

> I'm reading email like the stef's one for weeks!
That's exactly the point - me too. And I've never seen an email saying
"please have cool stuff in the release" ever result in progress. If
Stef's email (or any of the others) had been saying "please delay the
release, I promise to review NewLook until date X, but can't quite make
the current deadline", that would have been something to talk about.
Especially since the cool things have already *been done*, by you. If
they're done now, for weeks, and people don't review them, why should we
expect a delay in the release to help?

[some of us ... want to do something else ... the process isn't enough -
A. too much bureaucracy B. Configurations are missing]
I've been fully awake since our previous way of making progress stopped
working, sometime last year. Since then, I've worked at identifying the
issues we'll need to deal with, and help change the community's system
so that it won't choke on it. I don't think we're even nearly done, but
I think we're much closer than a year ago, or even a release ago. But
ideas on how to further reduce the work it takes, or increase the
freedom to individual developers would of course be more than welcome.

Maybe if you can be more specific about who "some of us" are, and what
direction you want to go, we can together identify how to help you
better.

Daniel