[Squeakfoundation]re: reviewing the simulator fixes

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Jun 26 15:01:57 CEST 2003

Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:

> > If you have VMMaker you've got the VM
>
> ... which is not obvious at all. At least I would have expected the
> "VMMaker" package to contain the VMMaker tool, not the VM source code
> itself.
>
> > and you can't simulate the interpreter without actually having it ;-)
>
> Of course. It's just a naming confusion, but I would find it more
> intuitive if there was a separate "VM" package containing ObjectMemory
> and Interpreter, as well as the standard plugins.
>
> -- Bert
>
> PS:  I wouldn't even mind if the "VM" package contained the VMMaker
> tool, too. Maybe we should just rename it?
That would be fine with me. I did intend at one point to make two
separate packages (VM & VMMaker) but since the VM code is pretty much
pointless without the tools to use it I thought better of it. The only
real cost would be finding all those places that refer to the VMMaker
package and updating them properly. Can SM do redirection?

tim
Strange OpCodes: PUS: PUrge System