[Squeakfoundation]Re: Outstanding 3.4 bugs?

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Sat Mar 1 08:48:05 CET 2003

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> writes:
> I find it just about impossible to imagine getting stuff done that
> quickly given the geographic and chronologic spread of people involved.
> It'll take more than two weeks before any decent number of people heve
> even downloaded 3.4, let alone done anything much to find and fix any
> bugs.

I think it's hard to imagine because we're all used to a different
process. However, with a steady monthly rhythm and known dates we would
all soon adjust.  Eg when the world knows that "3.x comes out on the 1st"
it will get downloaded a lot quicker. If bugs or major enhancements aren't
ready in time for the release, fine, they show up next month (or the month
after or..).

NB in the worst case, release time rolls around and noone's had time to do
anything this month, we'd be just re-releasing (we'd probably skip that
one). That's fine. The larger process is far more important.

Of course we can debate the optimal duration of an "iteration" - one
month, two months, three.. personally I feel one month works here. A
faster cycle allows us to learn and improve the process more quickly.