[Squeakfoundation]re: release prioritization

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Mar 3 15:22:08 CET 2003

Hi Hannes and all!

Hannes Hirzel <hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch> wrote:
> Hi Goran and all
>
> goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> > > And: A list of open issues and major known bugs is surely a useful tool
> > > for guiding a development process.
> >
> > Indeed. Would you mind setting one up? I have made offers earlier in
> > this regard but will keep my focus on SM. (Hint: The guides aren't SqC.
> > We are not intended to do the work *for* the community.)
>
> I'm interested in looking at your offers. It would help me if you
> could post the links to them.
>
> A quick look (10 min) at the titles your last 300 posts of this list
> does not show anything like that.

Well, that is because it was back in october/november 2001. About 2000
emails ago. Christ. :-)

> And the list on http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/squeakfoundation/88
> is not terribly maintained. Last change 19-DEC-02.

I am not sure what that list has got to do with this? That is a list of
roles that people have taken on.
Not a wishlist for people to sign up on.

> How do you think volunteers can notice possible tasks they could
> help if they don't preceive them? We are not computers.

No, we are humans. Humans communicate. Exactly what are you "accusing"
me of here?
Not telling volunteers what they can do? Not writing down a list
somewhere what they can do?

There are tons of places on both the Squeak Swiki and also the SqF swiki
where there are needs listed.

And needs are almost daily communicated on these two mailing lists. The
need for good bug tracking is not new, we have had it for years.

> Just writing something in the body of an email somewhere
> does not get noticed.

Duh.

> BTW The high number of your post shows an incredible
> energy and enthusiasm.

Yes.

> Thanks a lot! But wouldn't it be an idea
> for every 20th email you write to update *one* swiki
> page on www.squeakfoundation.org and point people to them
> from time to time (e.g. once every month)?

Well, personally I am not too fond of Swikis exploding into a jungle of
old pages.
Secondly I don't want the SqF swiki to compete with the Squeak Swiki so
it should be kept small and to the point.
Thirdly... I am at a loss of words. You are actually telling me to
update a Swiki page every 20 email?!?

> So much energy / knowhow and person-hours are
> available for bringing Squeak foward, but for reasons I'm not yet fully
> aware of a lot of this energy dissipates unused because of poor
> follow ups.

There are tons of reasons. Not having everybody spewing out Swiki pages
is IMHO not one of them.
Not having a bug tracking system is one though, an important one.
Discussing in which posting I offered to set one up is not one of them
either.

Btw, Jitterbug is a simple webbased system that could possibly work but
even though it does sound like he NIH-syndrome I actually think we could
do better by building something integrated in Squeak - like SM. SM just
didn't lift off until it was accessible from inside Squeak.