[Squeakfoundation]3.5 release timing (was Re: Outstanding 3.4 bugs?)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Mar 4 01:45:28 CET 2003

Hmm.  Having gone through the process (well, at least most of it), I
suppose a one-month release might be barely workable if the goal was
limited to fixes only as you say.  One problem has been coordinating
things via email (such as new VM releases, getting problems fixed), but
I suppose these things get better when people know what to expect after
the first time through.

The big question for me is whether we would want to have a fixes-only
release.  In other words, how does the quality of the 3.4 release with
respect to bugs compare with other recent releases?

I recall that the 3.0 release was pretty rushed, and there were some
problems.  3.2 was somewhat better, it had a bit more time to settle.
Even though 3.4 mostly just added support for SqueakMap and retrofitted
some enhancements from 3.3alpha, there were a few dozen bug fixes made
during the 3.4beta stage.  Which doesn't necessarily mean that much,
but I think 3.4 did get more time for fixes and settling down than 3.0
did, and probably has fewer largish bugs.  How it compares to 3.2...
maybe about the same, maybe not quite as good, I'm not sure.

If we think that 3.4 is roughly on par with other Squeak releases
quality-wise, I would tend to just have 3.5 allow enough time for
package removals, enhancements, etc., in a more typical release
timeline.  Whether that's 3, 4 or 6 months, I'm not sure.  Some Squeak
releases have had 12 months between them, I'm sure we don't want it to
be that long. :-)

But if we think we really need a higher-quality release before the
image breakup begins, then perhaps a shorter fixes-only release is
worth considering.

(I guess I'm leaning toward not bothering with the fixes-only release,
but I'm still on the fence.)

- Doug Way