[DOCS] Swiki as a reference manual? (was: RE: [Squeakfoundation]Stewards and Squeak Packages)

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Fri Mar 7 16:02:41 CET 2003

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
[snip]
> ..and I also don't like to have the "reference manual"
> of Squeak in a Swiki - I want that *inside Squeak*. You know - the
> classic problem of keeping two different places in synch. Why would
> someone remember to edit this page when a class is added or removed?

Having a reference manual inside Squeak is our mid-term goal.

But at the moemtn this procedural issue about keeping class comments
in synch is surely not our main problem.
The main problem is having comments in the first place at all.

Compared to the considerable amount of work writing a good
class comment (research, writing, checking) the task
of comparing a class comment in Squeak with a possible
better version on the swiki is a piece of cake.

Of course it would be very handy if there was a button
in the class browser withing Squeak labeled 'get comment from SqueakMap'
and another one 'upload comment to SqueakMap'.

The comments should then be in the Squeak Text Hypertext format.

Such a tool would perhaps (perhaps!) motivated people to write
comments in the first place.

-- Hannes