[Squeakfoundation]3.5 release timing (was Re: Outstanding 3.4
dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Mar 10 01:44:26 CET 2003
On Sunday, March 9, 2003, at 06:38 PM, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> wrote:
>> So, unless there are major objections, we will go with the 1-month
>> bugfix plan for 3.5.
> I'll just raise again my objections to the idea that it is possible to
> do any sensible beta in only a couple of weeks and any plausible gamma
> ditto. If anyone tries to incorporate any new work whatsoever it will
> completely blow the faintest possibility of success.
Well, to be honest I am still somewhat on the fence about this. (as
far as a 1-month bugfix release being *really* necessary)
But there are some advantages to doing this and I think it can be
workable. We would need to put some limits on the number and kind of
bugfixes that are accepted... perhaps no more than a dozen or so of the
most important fixes, and they must all be small in size. Of course
this doesn't guarantee anything, but allowing more & larger fixes will
increase the risk.
A 3-week beta+gamma is somewhat short, but not ridiculously so for a
Squeak release. ;-) I believe the Squeak releases prior to 2.8 had
(unofficial) beta stages which were typically about this long. Which
is not to say that that was good software-release practice either, but
at least in this case there will be less risk than in the typical
release in which hundreds of changes (some large) go in.
Arguments against a 1-month bugfix release are basically that while we
do have two much-discussed "serious" bugs in 3.4 (the project-saving
bug & the class compilation bug), the former still doesn't have a
reliable fix yet, and the latter is arguably not particularly critical.
The rest of the bugs being fixed recently seem to be the
garden-variety bugs present in every Squeak release. Also, I don't see
any reason to postpone proceeding with removing packages from the
image. And IMHO bug-fixing could move at a more unrestrained pace
during a normal release as opposed to a shortened release.
Anyway, we can further discuss arguments for/against the 1-month plan,
and I could probably be convinced either way, but I'd still like to
announce some sort of 3.5 release plan within the next couple of days
on squeak-dev (as mentioned in my last message).
- Doug Way
More information about the Squeakfoundation