[Squeakfoundation]re: 3.5 release timing

Craig Latta craig.latta at netjam.org
Mon Mar 10 00:41:55 CET 2003

Hi Doug--

> We would need to put some limits on the number and kind of bugfixes
> that are accepted...

	Indeed; ideally a release version has a list of scheduled features
attached to it *before* any work starts. I think we should strive for
that. I think "Squeak 3.5" should evoke a very concrete list of changes,
as opposed to merely a guideline about the kind of change that will be
accepted. The latter just invites last-minute submissions, dragging out
the release process.

	Also, ideally, the naming, feature-scheduling and timing for a
particular version is finalized by the time of the previous version's
release. At the latest, the discussion is finalized during the previous
gamma (often having the useful side-effect of appeasing those whose
not-quite-critical-enough submissions were deferred :). So, for example,
I hope we can finalize the schedule for <the-release-after-3.5> by the
time we release 3.5. In fact, I'd even go so far as to make the next
release schedule an official feature of each release. :)

	If the 3.5 schedule were up to me...

	3.5 would include the project-writing fix, the class-builder fix, the
next release schedule, and nothing else. I would set a release date of
the next first-Friday (4 April), as it seems like a short cycle (since
the principle writing seems to be finished). First Fridays are simple
and memorable, and moving faster than monthly is both more difficult for
the community to keep straight and not really feasible from a labor
perspective. If possible, make sure the release is available by the
stroke of midnight at the beginning of release day, GMT, to avoid
timezone confusion (no one can say it's late :). If a release slips, go
to the next first Friday; it's just simpler that way. I wouldn't worry
about having lots of small releases, you won't run out of minor numbers.
:)  (E.g., the next minor release after 3.9 is 3.10, etc.)

	thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta