[Squeakfoundation] re: Decision time: Are SCG the steward ofthekernel as proposed?

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Fri Mar 21 20:54:27 CET 2003

Distributing the decision making is something I care about as much as
you do. However, we need to be careful of oversimplifying ideas that
will keep us from making progress.

I think this applies in two ways to our process.
1. Distributing decision making doesn't have to be an all or nothing
proposition.
2. An artifact and it's set of policies, to remain viable over time need
to be coherent. This does (IMO) preclude a number of different groups
each pulling in their own direction. The weaker version of this
argument, which I'll be far less hesitant about defending, is that
making a *product release* at a specific date, precludes a number of
groups each with commitment power.

To avoid going all theoretical, I'll note that Linus does distribute a
lot of the decision making in Linux kernel development, but still,
nobody puts anything into his tree without his say so. BTW, the
infrastructures and the communities and the their leaders are very
different, but I think this much does apply to us too.

And in our specific case, you don't see me telling KCP or MCP *what* to
do. They both control that aspect. I do give guidance on what will make
their work easier to accept into the mainstream, and mostly in terms of
process, not content. If they decide to make radical changes, they'll
have to convince people it's worthy, and provide an upgrade path we can
support, but I won't tell them "no" a priori.

Daniel