[Squeakfoundation]updating to next version after declining alpha

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Sun Mar 23 01:22:03 CET 2003

On Saturday, March 22, 2003, at 06:32 AM, danielv at netvision.net.il
wrote:

> How about this combination -
> 1. By default we don't put in "final updates" that will cause
> compatibility problems.
> 2. When we put out alpha, someone can create a small SM package that
> changes versions specifically from m.n to m.n+1. Installing it will
> allow people to continue updating, but warn that there's a small chance
> the updates will be incompatible, so save your image first.
>
> Should solve 95% of these issues.

That sounds pretty good to me... that enables someone else to help out
with this instead of it being entirely my responsibility. ;-)

But I think that would work.  Most people typically don't need to
update from a m.n final to a m.n+1 alpha, but for those who do, the SM
package will be there.  And yes, assuming we don't allow huge numbers
of fixes during beta/gamma phases (which we shouldn't), most of the
time there won't be conflicts anyway.

- Doug Way