[Squeakfoundation]Stable Snapshots

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Mon Mar 24 10:21:04 CET 2003

Please pardon the outsider intrusion. :)

While reading some of your discussions on releases I had this thought or
perspective on timed releases.

Squeak is a rapidly advancing system. Because of this it can be
challenging to pin down a release due to a particular feature set.
Features, apps, products, etc. are constantly being added and evolving.

Maybe what is needed is merely a point in time where a 'snapshot' of the
current development Squeak is stabilized. Similar to the Debian analogy.
The more solid stuff moves up to become the stable snapshot and then
stabilized for the timed release.

Somewhat as a natural part of this and open source development would be
that what makes into into the stable release is that which has received
the developer mindshare or attention.

This way the user community can keep up with current Squeak happenings
while maintaining a relative sense of stability with their Squeak
environment.

However the implementation takes place it just seemed that the idea of a
Stable Squeak Snapshot (3 S's :) is what were looking at for a timed
release schedule. I think it fits Squeak better than a feature based
release schedule. Not that features are bad, but the trigger needs to be
pulled somewhere. :)

Am I making sense here?

Thanks.

Jimmie Houchin