[Squeakfoundation]Convincing a harvester

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed May 7 01:25:24 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 21:25, Andreas Raab wrote:

> There are a couple of other packages where I think it would be really good
> if they were part of the kernel image but these three I feel mostly strongly
> about.

My take on this: I don't think these (maybe with the exception of
networking) should necessarily be in the kernel in the long run; but for
the short term I think it is necessary to 'intern' these cleanups if
only in order to make sure that whathever is split off later on as a
package is good, separable, and 'canonical'. They are maybe not packages
that should land in the 100k bootstrap image ;-), but I do think that
the functionality is basic enough to warrant some special treatment in
order to make sure that we're left with canonical copies of networking,
font support, and internationalization - three areas that are present in
the image but need work, and the packages indicated by Andreas provide
(part of) that work.

The argument could be (and has been, IIRC) that people who are
interested in this stuff can grab it from SM, but running these packages
through the 'add to image, clean up, split off' loop has two important
effects:
- it 'blesses' the package as 'this is what we think should be the
official XXX package';
- it pushes it out to a greater number of alpha testers than when left
on SM.
Also, SM is not there yet. The coming months will be a balance act of
getting people used to SM and making sure they see important code
irrespective of the functionality of SM. Just solving every problem by
pointing to SM at this point in time seems counterproductive to me. SM
should work because it is good, not because Guides/Harvesters tell the
community to use it. That won't work.