[Squeakfoundation] SqueakMap in the image (was Re: Incorporating removals & KCP stuff)

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Fri May 23 14:16:05 CEST 2003

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> And SMPackage again - is a "public" package used by others.
>
> So my conclusion is that both concepts are valid and disjoint but we
> should try to NOT introduce any *more* of these "kinda-module-thingies"
> into the Squeak world. :-)

On the contrary - it isn't that we have too many "kinda module
thingies", it is that we (ab)use the word "module" to describe an
imaginary construct that's supposed to solve too many different
problems. Here's one way to cut it -
* Unit of code reuse (which brings with it issues of  understanding
changemanagement)
* Unit of program deployment (including issues of mixing different
versions of modules)
* As used by some people, may also include Namespaces, distributed
transactions, partitioning of non-code objects...

To the extent that we're clear about which design is meant to solve what
problems, constructing the overall solution from a few more pieces won't
hurt too much, and will give us flexibility (DVS today, Monticello
tommorrow).

Daniel