[Squeakfoundation]The Harvesting process and the BFAV

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon Nov 3 10:03:36 CET 2003

Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:
> I think the fact that packages don't get automatically updated when
> their author updates them is a good thing. An author has the
> responsibility to develop his package, with regard to its own
> development cycle. So he should sometimes post a version to give it more
> testing even if he wouldn't want it to be used by all squeakers.

Yes. What I want is something similar to Debian. If there are updates to
packages that are "ok" they get installed automatically *when I choose
to get them*. This will be possible with SM2 etc.

> Seems like a pretty easy way to deal with this is for maintainers (or
> anyone else) to occaisonally post a message like "[FIX] Update to
> MyPackage 1.02", when it turns out that version is stable enough. I
> think these should be included quite easily, the author is responsible
> for it working well enough, we are only responsible for integration.
> Note that since we now have a version aware SM2 Package Loader, 1.02
> need not be the current version...
>
> BTW, have you guys tried the SM2 Package Loader? when do you think we
> should make 3.7 include it by default instead of SM Package Loader?

I personally definitely think we should have it - and hopefully we
should even have the new SM2 base for 3.7. IMHO. And I am working
towards that.