[Squeakfoundation] Allow MIT-licensed code to be partof "SqueakOfficial"?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Nov 17 21:17:58 CET 2003

> Fantasy example: ***disclaimer

And yet, if this would be a package on SqueakMap and if it can be loaded
into "basic" it would still remain a non-issue for the purpose of our
discussion. This is what I wanted to point out here - as long as there's a
way to start from a well-known point and assemble your image you don't have
a (legal) problem. For example, you could download the basic image _without_
sockets at all and the first thing you'd have to do is to get yourself a
socket implementation (which you'd load via the file list for example).

If you go to the extreme (such as Squat) we may never have a problem with
licenses except at the very lowest level. As long as you say "this is Squeak
and everything else is just packages loaded for your convenience" there is
(AFAICT) no problem.

This isn't to say that I _like_ having all those licenses mixed up with one
another (in particular not if one package requires one with a different
license) but maybe that's another good reason to start thinking about a
community license for Squeak.

Cheers,
  - Andreas