[Squeakfoundation] re: Allow MIT-licensed code to be partof"SqueakOfficial"?

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Thu Nov 20 06:37:05 CET 2003

There seems to be agreement that allowing the MIT license into "Squeak
Official" (Full/Basic) is reasonable.  (And also possibly BSD, but we
might as well put that off until it is needed.)

In the case of SmaCC, we're really talking about something in the Basic
release, the compiler, which is more central than the multimedia/etc.
stuff in the Full release.  We could potentially be looser about the
licenses of things in the Full release, as Andreas discussed.

(See http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3412 for a description of
Full/Basic/Minimal.)

On Monday, November 17, 2003, at 04:45 AM, goran.krampe at bluefish.se
wrote:

> I believe you are correct and as I said in another post - the only
> issue
> I can see is that if we decide to sublicense it as Squeak-L (which I
> assume there is no actual need to do, licensewise) then someone (a
> legal
> entity) would need to do it. And I am not sure what it really "means"
> for that entity, especially regarding mentionings of Apple and
> indemnification etc.
>
> So best would probably be to simply not sublicense it. :)

Right, I don't think we need to do that at this point.  This means that
we just keep SmaCC as MIT-licensed.

But we need to keep track of which code in the Basic image is under
which license.  For SmaCC, we could do this by having it tracked as
another "in-image" package, like the small handful of others in the
Basic image such as SUnit and SqueakMap.  This is a little bit of a
hassle, but it seems like the best way to track the code at this point.
  Everything else (for now, at least) in the Basic image is licensed
under Squeak-L.

If someone wants to make a bug fix to SmaCC, the fix would go into a
new version of the SmaCC package (which means the fix would be
MIT-licensed like the rest of SmaCC), and then the new package version
would be moved into the Basic image when needed.  In any case, the
SmaCC package on SqueakMap would always contain exactly the code which
is MIT-licensed.

How does this sound?

- Doug

(p.s. Yeah, eventually we may want to encourage more and more chunks of
Squeak Full/Basic to be licensed under a Squeak-Community-License or
some other well-known license without some of the Squeak-L baggage, but
that's another issue, and we really need to have things broken up into
packages beforehand...)