[Squeakfoundation][Fwd: Re: installing squeak on Debian Woody]

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Sep 2 02:39:51 CEST 2003

Hi Ian,

> I'm gonna ignore this issue unless the people in question
> have been unable to find an solution to their problem at
> www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak ;-)

That's only an indicator of the general problem. Note that the message said
"I picked it up from a website that I assumed is the standard home of
Squeak" and unfortunately, the download page of Squeak.org sends you into a
variety of places with good chances that you end up "somewhere else".

What we were trying to achieve with the download page was more along the
lines of having a single page with ALL relevant information and direct links
to the stuff you need to run Squeak as well as being easily editable. Check
out our example at

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3262

which should give you an idea about what we're after (note that the "info"
link on Unix VMs goes straight into your primary web site for support) as
well as the thread starting at

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeakfoundation/2003-June/00137
1.html

The whole point of this download page is to make clear what the "standard
home" for Squeak downloads is, be able to update it easily and provide
up-to-date information on the individual ports.

Cheers,
  - Andreas

	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2961

and the very first line at the top of

	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/298

If someone creates that initial "song and dance" download page, and
deletes all the other junk that's lying around, I'll (more than) happily
fill in the Unix details.  Just send me the URL, once it's created.

Hmm, I think the Unix song and dance will be in the key of... d-moll.
(When it comes to getting serious about music, German is definitely the
language of choice. ;)

Ian