Simply Seeking Syllabus for 5th-8th Grade Squeaking

Origbj at aol.com Origbj at aol.com
Sat Apr 21 01:41:06 PDT 2001

Mark:

    In thinking about the concepts that I needed to  present my children
with, prior to teaching them a new idea or concept in Squeak, I think about
my math standards.  In the case of the car scenario, I used what they had
learned about mean, mode, median and range, and how I could incorporate this
concept into what I wanted them to create in Squeak.  I needed them to
understand the concept of random and random numbers and what a "variable"
was.  This is some pretty sofisticated stuff and Squeak gave the children a
means to use some abstract concepts in a meaningful way.. I would be happy to
send you the lessons that I used with the kids if you want.  Of course they
are only the Squeak lessons.  The math concepts were simply part of my math
curriculum.

Best,
B.J. Conn