Active Essays on Computer Music

Mike Roberts mike at mjr104.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 01:12:19 PDT 2001

>From: Mark Guzdial <guzdial at cc.gatech.edu>
>I now have six active essays on computer music up at:
>
>http://swiki.cc.gatech.edu:8080/compMusic/ActiveEssays

Hi,

I've haven't had time to try out these computer music active essays yet, or
sadly much squeak for that matter, but I thought I would peer out from the
shadows of these lists :-)  These active essays look quite exciting.

I noticed the 'others to recommend?' comment in your 'books' page on the
swiki.  Dodge&Jerse and Csound (to some extent) were necessary reading for
my UK degree course and I'd like to offer another book which I found
invaluable:

The Science of Sound, Thomas D. Rossing.  ISBN 0-201-15727-6 (Mine's a 2nd
Edition)

It's quite comprehensive (~600 pages) but is very nicely structured.  As
the title might indicate, it details many aspects of sound, including: wave
theory, acoustics, psychoacoustics, musical instruments, the voice and the
use of electronics.

Looking through your syllabus I thought it would make a nice reference text
or at least a good diversion if you find yourself in a large library.

regards

Mike
:-)