never mind resizing problem...and first ActiveEssay!

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 9 16:35:18 PDT 2001

I don't know what happened, but my Yellow Halo buttons work just fine
now.  An intermittent problem, it seems.

I just published my first project and ran it with the plugin!  Check
out http://swiki.cc.gatech.edu:8080/compMusic/8 if you're interested.
(It's not a very sophisticated essay -- just a catalog of cool Squeak
sound/music toys. )

Issues/questions that I now have (comments/advice/answers would be
most welcome!):
- How does the plugin figure out the size in which to display the
project?  My project is too big to fit comfortably in the browser
window (e.g., the tab flap to escape the browser never appeared).  I
scrolled down in the browser, but the bottom of the project never
refreshed.  (I tried "restore display" but that caused a network
access that never terminated.)

- Not all Squeak tools can be easily used inside a project.  The
WaveEditor was the most interesting combination.  The wave is visible
in the editor, but if you scroll the window, it's gone.  You can't
Play the sound anymore, but the keyboard in the WaveEditor still
works.  (Other tools like the MIDI Player worked fine in a project.)

- On the other hand, the fact that sound recording still works FROM
WITHIN THE PLUGIN *FROM WITHIN THE BROWSER* is pretty amazing!

- Should we be turning off global flaps before saving projects for
use with the plugin?  I get key errors about that Preference every
time I open the project and (it seems) every time I turn the page in
the stack.

- I'm confused about publishing a project to disk versus publishing
it to someplace like Bob's Super Swiki.  If I publish to the
SuperSwiki, it goes up as a single file, yes?  If I publish to my
disk, I get several files (i.e., a .pr file and a .gif file, in my
case).  Is there someway to convert from the multi-file to
single-file formats?  I want to serve from my Computer Music Swiki,
but I don't think I can currently publish to an unmodified Comanche
Swiki.  I'd like to publish to my disk, and then upload it...which is
how I did the one that's there, but I uploaded each piece.  Will
there be issues down the road where more than two files get generated?

Thanks for any feedback!
   Mark
Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu