Squeaking for everyone

Brewer, Naala Naala.Brewer at disney.com
Mon May 7 15:09:08 PDT 2001

Thank you, Cathleen and John, for carefully bringing up gender issues.  I
hope this discussion forum will be a place for people to bring these issues
up and discuss possible solutions.

I, too, see a difference in level of participation and activity between boys
and girls using technology and technological tools.  And the disparity has
proven itself in the IT workforce.  The number of women (and minorities) has
actually declined since the 80's.

What I hope to see (and I have seen some of it already) is the chance for
all to express their interests in a variety of projects using Squeak.  Many
of the girls I have worked with in the classroom are just not interested in
much of the pre-fabricated material available on the web or in software.
But they are interested in technology and construction from their own
interests and viewpoints.

Girls tend to have a lower confidence level in their abilities.  If they are
given the chance to create projects at their own pace and of their own
interests, I have found they are much more likely to be confident about what
they are doing.  Also, by giving them recognition for their work their
confidence level raises even more.  The *girl* who did the initial
explorations project on the middle school page of Squeakland was so proud of
herself.  And what she was trying to was to create a beautiful picture which
imitated the motion of the night sky.  She was not bound by a software
already wrapped with specific instructions and specifications.

I'm looking forward to seeing a variety of projects created by both boys and
girls (and men and women)!

With my best,
Naala