Link: Education in the Digital Age

Dave Master dave_master_edu at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 16 15:51:41 PDT 2002

Kim and all fellow "Squeaklanders",
  The ACME Online site will officially open sometime in October.  I'll be able to give you URL for an informational website to check out in a week or so, hopefully.
                                                                      Onward and upward, Dave
 Kim Rose wrote:Hi, Dave (and all Squeaklanders) -
Great to hear from you!  When we did the video project at Cal Poly it was under the 'influence' and direction of Doreen Nelson and Lev Gonick. As a matter of fact, there was an article in yesterday's NY Times about Lev's current work in the area of online learning at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland (you can read the article in the Technology Section of NY Times online if you are interested).
The ACME pilot program sounds great...I wish you the best with it.  (I encourage those of you not familiar with Dave and his work to learn more!)
Thanks for the update....As Alan subscribes to this list, he'll see your "hi" directly (he was just in Maine with Seymour Papert and educators thinking about issues that will arise when every 7th grader in the state of Maine (17,000) will receive a laptop this Fall!!
best regards,Kim

Kim and Marcus,
  Yes, I work with the folks at Cal Poly Pomona.  They are actively engaged in a number of "streaming" and "distance learning" initiatives.  They've also been very helpful with the development of our ACME Virtual Animation Network the passed two years. We actually host half of our ACME Animation Network transmissions from Cal Poly Pomona (the others are from Disney, DreamWorks, Warner Bros., etc.). They are presently helping us figure out ways we can "stream" some of our instructiona nd animation sharing between the learners and professionals.  Mike Berman is the V.P. of Instructional Technology.  He's a very visionary person. The "point-person" on the "streaming project" is Mark Waters mswaters at csupomona.edu. He can put you in touch with others on their staff that are working on various initiatives.  I've really enjoyed working with Mike Berman and his staff.  I've learned much from my association with them.
  Also, Kim, I need to update you on the ACME program.  We've been piloting an online version of the program with a sample group of 30 students and selected animation "pro mentors" from 13 countries.  The program implements the same guiding philosophy as the ACME On-Air program.  It differs in some other ways, most markedly in that it is it is asynchronous and is not "Hollywood-centric. We are fine-tuning it presently and hope to open it up globally in the fall.
  I'm sure many of the "Squeakland" folks that are into animation specifically, will find the site engaging and helpful. We'll let you knoiw more details when we're ready to open it up. We could let folks on our site know about your community as well. I think the sites will be very synergistic.
   'Hope all is well...say "hi" to Alan.  Dave
 Kim Rose wrote:
Hi, Marcus!
Hope you are doing well (and staying dry over in Germany.)
Thanks for these pointers -- we did this series several years ago; I
had no idea Cal Poly digitized the video and put it online....
(If I can get Windows' Media Player to work on my Mac I'll take a fresh look!)
cheers,
Kim