Book for gifted 12 year old.

Christopher Sawtell csawtell at paradise.net.nz
Thu Aug 22 18:26:54 PDT 2002

Kim Rose wrote:
> Hi, again, Chris -
>
> Well, BJ (Conn) may kill me for announcing this, but I believe she may
> have already said so...she and I are working hard on such a book!

That's _wonderful_ news.
Please don't shy away from introducing the browsers and keyboard scripting.

> (Together, with Alan, we've developed and tested over a 2 1/2 year
> period with BJ's students, a year's curriclum.)  But, the book is not
> complete yet.  We're hard at work and aiming at having it available next
> Spring -- since BJ goes "back to school" in just a couple weeks, our
> working time will minimize, but we've given ourselves a forcing
> function/deadline and plan to have the book available by early Spring.

By which I assume you mean March-April? Living in New Zealand as I do,
I'm not very au fait with the North American seasons. Anyway if you
would like another beta-tester for your book, I / we am / are only too
happy to offer our input. It's Linux at home here, OS X on iMac at
school, and Windows in most of the children's homes.

> It will be geared toward students ages 10-12 or 13 and their teachers
> and parents.  We will have over a dozen project examples and also show
> the underlying math and science concepts each amplifies.

_That_ is exactly what this country needs so urgently!! Sadly, all the
really good teachers get 'stolen' by the first-world countries.

> We *know* there is a need for such a thing...AND MORE too!  We want our
> book to be the *first* (or one) of many.  We hope others using Squeak
> will be inspired to share their examples, ideas and usage -- that other
> teachers choosing to integrate Squeak into their curricula will share
> how they've done so.

Here in NZ, which is a country with a very practical orientation, it's
the fact that Squeak is sitting on a very real and intensely accessable
computing environment that caused the interest. Smalltalk is, after all,
a language used in the industry. One of the teachers was watching me
last Tuesday, and was obviously amazed that just a few lines of script
produced a multi-coloured circular object which we could then play with
using the eToy environment.

They are moving the o/s to OS X for next school term. I just hope that
everything continues ok.

> Remember HyperCard?

Heard of it but that's all. I've been into unix stuff for a long time.

> People were very puzzled as to what it was and how
> to use it.  It wasn't until teachers and other interested "programmers"
> created and published examples of content produced in HyperCard that it
> really 'caught on' and the market grew.
>
> So, please -- an appeal to others of you creating interesting
> Squeak-based projects - let us know who you are -- we'd be delighted to
> post your examples on the Squeakland site, or point to your site(s) AND
> market/disseminate other project books/examples. Our book is going to
> take a little more time.

There is an implementation of Scrabble at:-

http://webs.sinectis.com.ar/jmvuletich/Scrabble/Scrabble.html

I hope the copyright implications don't preclude it being included in
your book. It would not run using the 3.2 vm "out of the box" for me,
but I did not try very hard to get it to go.

> Thanks for your purchase of the "Blue" Squeak Book -- I recommend "Back
> to the Future" for some history, John Maloney's chapter on "Morphic" and
> John Steinmetz's chapter on Squeak in the classroom.

I've looked briefly at some of the pre-publication .pdf files of the
chapters which are on the net.