Hello. My name is Thom Gillespie. I write for a magazine called

Thom Kevin Gillespie thom at indiana.edu
Sun Feb 24 23:22:25 PST 2002

Technos. I've been following Squeak for a few months.

I'm working on a column for Technos magazine which I'm calling 'new
literacy.' I'm wondering if the tools available for kids to express ideas
today include not just traditional writing tools but tools such as word
processors, html, Flash, Director, Blender, Boxer-like tools, Squeak, and
all sorts of non-linear editing tools such as Premier, FinalCut and
AfterEffects, has literacy changed? If literacy has changed has education
kept up? Considering that kids are different depending upon their skills
how do you educate a literate population today?

I realize you all are busy but I'd appreciate your thoughts on these
matters and I think others would also appreciate your thoughts? I'll be
asking these questions of others for the magazine.

If you are too busy I also understand.

Sincerely,  Thom Gillespie

 \\\\////   tHoM gIllEsPiE, maitre d'Igital, CafeTechnos at ait.net
 /ww  ww\   Indiana University, Telecommunications Dept
6 (*][*) ?       1229 E 7th St      Radio & TV Bldg
 \  .7  /          Bloomington, IN 47405-5501 USA
  ( --')       thom at indiana.edu     812-855-3254 (v)
   WWWW         The MIME Program in newMedia Design
  / WW \               www.mime.indiana.edu
Since permanent change is here to stay, to accomplish anything bold and
beautiful in the firmament of time we must learn to change directions and
fall gracefully   -- Sam Keen in Learning To Fly