Hello. My name is Thom Gillespie. I write for a magazine called

John Steinmetz johns at cogent.net
Mon Feb 25 14:47:56 PST 2002

Dear Thom,

That's a very good question. It's hard to be literate in a new medium
when the medium itself is still developing, when there are few stable
genres and little literature. (Look how long we had writing before we
had novels!) Just as language literacy means more than knowing how to
draw and decode letters, technological literacy means more than
knowing what menus to use.

No, education isn't keeping up very well in most places. But they're
often not keeping up very well with older kinds of literacy either!
What about science literacy, math literacy, music literacy,
geographic or historical literacy? Or what about plain old skillful
use of language? Many schools seem to have trouble teaching how to
use English well, let alone Flash or Squeak.

In a few places there are people who understand that "computer" is
not a subject to be taught, but a medium to be used for reflection
and expression--just like older media.

A related question well worth exploring is what technologies children
should be encouraged to use at what age. Some educators think that
children may be harmed by too-early emphasis on abstraction and
representation.  Some preschools and kindergartens have established
mandatory computer time for their students. Certainly children are
capable of using the machines, but the question remains whether this
is the best use of their time.

	John Steinmetz