Fill in the Blank

Kim Rose Kim.Rose at viewpointsresearch.org
Wed Jun 5 12:38:45 PDT 2002

Here's one:

>A piano is an instrument (or tool) with which one makes music.
A computer is an instrument (or tool) with which one makes meaning.

Is this going too far?  Now, I don't believe this is *always* the
case, or that meaning can be made by "computer alone"......not
everyone that sits at a piano can make music either....music and
meaning must be contructed via a variety of media, tools,  and
experiences.  But as the phrase suggests it is the "player" who
creates the music, not the instrument.

I have just had the pleasure of spending one day a week for this past
school year at the Los Angeles Open Charter School where I have
observed children making meaning of "powerful ideas" (ideas like
acceleration and gravity) by using the computer (Squeak) to create
models and projects which then, helped create meaning to the child.

  -- Kim