Fill in the Blank

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Wed Jun 5 23:23:56 PDT 2002

Alan Kay wrote:
> I'm curious as to your prefered choice. Also you might try to fill in
> this blank first:
>
>     "Music is not in the piano" as "(blank) is not in the book"
>
> You could also ask yourself what is (are) the special thing(s) about
> humans that the computer might be great at amplifying.

"Music is not in the piano" as "Knowledge is not in the computer"

I just ran accross an article by Phillip Armour in an older CACM
(10/2000). There he argues that software is the fifth medium for storing
knowledge: DNA, brains, hardware, books, software and that software is
the only external knowledge storage that is active.

Michael