Fill in the Blank

Ken Kahn kenkahn at toontalk.com
Mon Jun 10 12:29:48 PDT 2002

I probably shouldn't jump into this discussion but I don't like the
underlying philosophy. A system can have a property like music without any
of its parts having the property. The system consisting of a piano, a
player, and maybe a composer is "where the music is". (And maybe a
listener.) Where is the music in a player piano? Probably in the piano and
the composer. Where is the music in an AI system that composes and generates
music? Probably the best answer is in the computer, the software, and the
programmer.

This reminds of "Searle's Chinese Room" (2730 hits from Google to choose
from) on the question of where is the understanding of Chinese in a
hypothetical AI system implemented with a human as the CPU and a book for
program storage.

Best,

-ken kahn