Summer Camp/Storytelling

Anindita anindita at media.mit.edu
Tue Jun 11 14:10:20 PDT 2002

Naala,

I'm doing a workshop right now called Full-Contact Poetry, so it's
basically tech and self-expression with lots of Squeak since there's great
animation and programming, and I've been seeing very similar things-- boys
pulling in lots of cars and anime, girls choosing pastel colors.  When
girls go for characters, they've been hitting mostly PowerPuff Girls, some
Rugrats.  And they bring in more real celebrities, Jennifer Lopez and Vin
Diesel being popular ones, whereas the guys have focused on superheroes.

In terms of programming and narrative, I've had a boy get into more of the
text and playing with words and sounds whereas a girl got into more
intricate programming (if-then statements, etc.).  All of the kids are
passionnate about music and they like being able to modify things that
they bring in (drawing all over imported images, etc.).  I think a lot of
this reconstructing is very interesting and important to them-- taking
something in, changing it, making it their own and making it all act and
interact.  These are the types of themes that I think are fun to pursue
since they seem to be universally interesting and engaging.  Some of it
leads to storytelling (in a more traditional sense) and others are more
like interactive collages or graffiti.  It's great to see what new ideas
and forms of expression emerge when combining art and tech.

Anindita