Which way to the Dynabook?

Edwin Pilobello e_pilobello at attbi.com
Wed Jun 12 12:33:51 PDT 2002

I've been pondering the history of "air guitar" as mentioned in the
http://www.honco.net/ article "The Dynabook Revisited", which Kim
posted.

We all know that it's not a hardware issue anymore.  Sure we need voice
commands, maybe even a Borg-like "read my mind" implant.  I believe in a
few years these will be.  Already, deaf kids are hearing with implants.
The blind can see with sound or night vision goggles.  Wired rats
control cursors.  For the impaired, these are certainly great
inventions.

But what about software?  It seems much more difficult to get a handle
on how the "intelligence" will evolve.  Parents are panicked (this is my
market) that their kids are not adapting as quickly as the technology
affords them.

I believe the perception is flawed.  The kids are simply choosing to be
involved in those parts they enjoy: gaming, messaging, and plagarized
reporting.  Or are they?

Anyway, I feel bloated and skewed.  The effort to write a few lines to
describe a marketable solution, has gotten the best of me. I'm now
trying to deflate an area of concern down to my itty-bitty area of
influence.

Could you direct me, please?  Which way to the Dynabook?

Sincerely,
Edwin