preparation for multimedia

John Steinmetz johns at cogent.net
Wed Mar 6 08:31:33 PST 2002

In the recent discussion of education and multimedia, something Thom
Gillespie said really got my attention. I've never heard anybody say
this before. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

	John

>I also teach interactive media at Indiana University. I have noticed that
I have two kinds of students. I have students who have strong background
in art, music and storytelling who pick up the technology and totally fly.
I also have students who do not have strong backgrounds in art, music and
storytelling but have a great interest in interactive media design (Flash,
Web, Games); they can pick up the technology but they can not fly because
they are hampered by years of no art, music and/or storytelling (writing)
and this will impact them their entire life long. You can see the total
paralysis in the class when they have to demo before or after anyone in
the first group.