Hello. My name is Thom Gillespie. I write for a magazine

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Fri Mar 15 13:38:37 PST 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl wrote:

> Sorry, I missed your point.

[snip]

An interesting experiment regarding is www.wikipedia.com (open content)

> - BUT DO NOT FORGET TO TEACH THEM HOW TO FIND OUT WHAT KIND OF RESOURCES YOU
> CAN TRUST ON THE WEB AND HOW YOU CAN FIND OUT IF YOU CAN TRUST NEW
> RESOURCES...

this is not actually something new. The only new aspect is that nowadays
the number of "publishers" is many thousand times larger....

> - let them annotate that link with their comments (opinion and believed
> trust.)
> (Nothing new: we teach the same in massamedia classes around radio,
> television...)

I agree. Keeping your personal "notebook" or "index card pile".
The focus is on active research going out for information for answering a
specific question rather than on processing an incoming information flow
from whatever sources.

> The last Bastion of the old book publishers is that their name on the book
> (or the website) stands for controlled quality.

In every publishing activity (on TV, radio, newspaper, museums, CDROMS,
magazines, books, web-sites, Squeak-projects) a central concept is trust
in integrity and quality.
Actually the key service a publishing agent is providing today is
filtering and quality assurance. His reputation which is symbolized by the
label is an important asset for conducting this service. The publisher is
considered to be a "second opinion" regarding the value of the product
created by the author(s).

Regards
Hannes Hirzel