Helping my nephew with collision detection

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Mon Sep 2 00:07:34 PDT 2002

randysiler at mac.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>         I'm helping my nephew (13) get started writing a game in Squeak
> (trying to move him more into the joy of writing games rather than
> playing games) and he has made some great strides but has a problem he
> can't get through. I'd like to help him but at this point the extent of
> my wisdom is pointing him at Squeak. If any of you could give us a hint
> about how to proceed we'd both greatly appreciate it.
>
>         Starting from the "make a car" tutorial Byron has now made a tank and
> a steering wheel  and some balls that he wants to bounce back and forth
> between two walls. He's quite exceited about the cool games he could
> create trying to drive the tank through a field where these bullets are
> bouncing back and forth and he has discovered that he needs collision
> detection But we haven't been able to implement it yet. Currently he
> has his balls (bullets) bouncing backand forth from the top and bottom
> of the Squeak world but we can't get them to bounce off the walls he
> has made.
>
>         I've told him that I think Squeak has collision detection but it is a
> little beyond me to actually show him how. It seems like we want to
> write a test where the ball decides if it is touching a wall. We see
> "touches" but we can't get it to allow us to say touches the wall.
>
>         If any of you can help us we'd appreciate it. Thanks.
>
> Randy and Byron.
Here is snipped from a earlier email:

I made a Space Invader Tutorial for the etoys.
You will learn how to copy an instance, start it running and then check
for
collisions and delete it self. Not very advanced but shows off some of
etoys possibilities.

http://209.143.91.36/super/503

Also check out bobs super swiki (http://209.143.91.36/super/)  for some
great and fun projects.