Is it alive?

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Sat Sep 28 00:05:09 PDT 2002

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 04:12:48PM +1200, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> 1) A live CD which somebody can just pop into a CD drive on a PC and boot to
> get Squeak working. It does not matter what the underlying o/s is. A possible
> example method is at:- http://www.knoppix.org/ which provides a Live Linux
> CD. It would not be too difficult to replace the unneeded window manager and
> applications with a Squeak system.

Yes, it would be simple to build a Squeak-CD on top of Knoppix... but...
it would only boot on a PC. Not on my Mac!

Slightly of-topic: Seeing Knoppix and Squeak mentioned
together, Klaus Knopper did take some photos of our
small Squeak booth at LinuxTag02, have a look at:

 http://media.linuxtag.org/gallery/album02/agm
 http://media.linuxtag.org/gallery/album02/agk
 http://media.linuxtag.org/gallery/album02/agl

Have you seen any issue of Tansel Ersevan's SqueakNews? This is a
(commercial) CD-ROM based Squeak e-zine, done 100% in Squeak.

The first two issues (July/Aug 2001) can be downloaded as CD-images at:
 http://www.squeaknews.com/download/index.html

These CDroms are very nice: They simply work on all important systems (Win,
Mac, Linux). And no setup is required.

I especially like the  October 2001 issue "Powerful Ideas for the
Classroom".

> 4) Removal of the red cautionary-tale text screen which greets you on starting
> up a 3.2 image. If you tell them it's difficult right at the start, the
> masses will take off like scaled cats, never to be seen again. Actually
> Smalltalk is difficult only if your mind has been horribly corrupted by many
> years of traditional computer programming.

Uhh... the Squeak you can download at Squeak.org is for experts only, "the
Hacker release". The UI of that Squeak is not even close to one I would
like to see for a Squeak that "normal" people should use.
Did you know that Dilbert has started to develop with Squeak?
Have a look at
http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert2812750020923.gif

;-)

    Marcus