Pendulum project update

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Thu Apr 24 14:51:54 PDT 2003

Hi Folks --

A good side point about pendulums is that the motion is harmonic only
for small excursions, since harmonic motion is roughly the spring law
which is proportional to x, and pendulums are proportional to sine x.
Sine x and x are close to the same values only for small angles.

All these subtle details are reasons why we don't do pendulums with
5th graders. Compare this to gravity near the surface of the earth
where the accelleration is constant to about 1 part in a million
(note that it isn't really constant because it is inversely
proportional to the square of the distance and this is changing a
little bit -- about 4 meters in the ball drop example).

Cheers,

Alan

-------