*absolute* beginners at squeaking -- Was: Where are the rules for this list?

JArchibald at aol.com JArchibald
Fri Apr 18 14:19:12 PDT 2003

=> 4/30/01 4:08:31 AM EDT, csawtell at xtra.co.nz =>
<< Is this the list for _absolute_ beginners at squeaking?

I feel a total nitwit because I can't find any instructions which tell me
how to load a text file containing a Squeak program into the image. Take it
gently now, while I have been at these dumputers for 30 years I've  never
seen anything like, or as exciting as, Squeak. >>

<< Where are the rules for this list? >>

RULES ?! RULES ?!   We don't need no stinking rules ! ! !

:-) All kidding aside, in addition to all its other functions, this mailing
list is also the appropriate place for questions from absolute beginners.
Certainly for ones who have been working with computers for 30 years.

Concerning loading of a text file ... typically programs in Smalltalk (Squeak
is a Smalltalk development environment) are programmed and developed within
the Smalltalk environment itself. In Squeak, the background menu point
"open..." and then "browser" will bring up the primary code inquiry/program
development tool. When you "change" a piece of code (a method they are
called) and choose "accept" in the "code pane", the change is compiled and
the resulting change in behavior is part of your new world. Check out
factorial for example in class Integer (trial expression of '5 factorial',
'10 factorial' etc.) then change the factorial code to mean (for example) '2
to the', and see what that does.

However, occasionally we bring in a group of method and class definition as a
file. This is how changes are distributed to others, for example. In such a
case, we open a tool called the 'file list' -- sequence is "background
menu>>open...>>file list". Then one selects a file, in the list of file
names, and the menu point "fileIn" will evaluate the entire file, generating
whatever method or class changes which result.

Don't hesitate to ask your questions here. Newcomers are certainly welcome
and keep those more experienced on their toes. Try to read the submissions of
others, as many others here are relative beginners also.

Check the pointers starting from http://squeak.org (particularly the Swiki,
at http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/Squeak) and you may find that many of your
questions may have been answered already.

Good luck,
Jerry.