Simply Seeking Syllabus for 5th-8th Grade Squeaking

Alan Kay Alan.Kay
Fri Apr 18 14:53:19 PDT 2003

Squeakland.org

As all of you know, Squeakland.org is currently "under construction"
and due to open "any week now". Our plans have been to have at least
three sites, one for each of the authoring environments in Squeak
that we've been working on. So:

   * Squeakland.org is primarily for children, parents and teachers
who use "etoys"

   * SqueakOmni.org is for "Omniuser Squeakers" -- sort of from
Hypercard to Lingo and beyond

   * Squeak.org is for "Expert Level" Squeakers -- the bolts, nuts and
guts of the system

The middle site and the middle authoring environment are quite a few
months away from birth.

The first goals for Squeakland.org are to make sure that the plugin
can be downloaded and run everywhere with as little difficulties as
possible. We enlist your aid to help do these tests.

people who are interested in elementary education and play and how
computing might enhance them. Specifically, we are looking for enough
day to day users of the site to create a forum for our next stages,
which include a sample curriculum, and the next round of etoys. It
would be nice to generate about10-50 emails a day about these issues.
We at SqC plan to develop a trial curriculum this summer with several
teachers that we've been working with, and we will do most
correspondance using squeakland at squeakland.org.

Though an important part of this mailing list is to get bug reports,
we plan to copy all technical emails to the regular Squeak mailing
list. Squeakers, please don't scare off the parents and teachers --
after the children, they are our main intended users.

We will send out quite a bit more information about how to use the
site as it gets closer to completion. For now, please try downloading
the plugins and then try navigating around, both at the top HTML
level of the site, and the entirely within Squeak levels below.

Cheers,

Alan