Simply Seeking Syllabus for 5th-8th Grade Squeaking

Dave Master dave_master_edu
Fri Apr 18 14:53:19 PDT 2003

This issue you've uncovered and focused on, I think,
is one of the most central issues in education,
curriculum design and teaching. I've struggled, and
continue to struggle, with this delicate balance and
"dance" of exploration and instruction every day. I
don't have any pat answers, nor do I think there are
any;but I'll share my experience struggling with
it...here 'goes...
I have scaffolded this issue from a number of
directions over the years...I personally don't feel it
is an "either/or" proposition; at least from my
experience. I agree that if students whom are
introduced to a demo may "get farther", if "farther"
is defined in a certain manner and, if "farther" is
our goal. But, first we should determine what
"farther" is and if it is always desirable.
      I've found that a steady diet of direction at
the outset of activities cripples students in other
ways later on...in ways that  traditional schools fail
to measure, or seem to care about. Having the students
try to apprehend something initially, and trying to
comprehend it for themselves, constructing their own
initial conceptualization to test in demonstration
first to their friends and trusted peers...being
allowed to look  over one another's shoulder and
"cheat" in this second stage of development is some of
the best scaffolded learning I've ever seen in my
classes.And all of it happened with little or no
direction on my part.
   I found that after a period of individual, "joyous
exploration" and apprehension (in every sense of that
word!); and a period of peripheral and peer-scaffolded
"testing"; my students felt that their personal "take"
on the challenge was honored (as divergent as it may
have been) and, that they then had more confidence in
their ability to  explicitly exhibit that
understanding with a "public" performance of
their"take"  to the class.In fact, many of my students
would crack into the operating systems of the
computers  when they needed to; and I'm at a loss to
even begin to explain to them how to accomplish THAT
feat.(Alan usually came in and hired THOSE kids from
my class! ha ha)
     Over the last two decades, hundreds of my
students have gone on into professions in the arts,
animation, media and software and hardware design.
And, the ones that moved into the creative aspects of
these fields all have credited this initial period of
"messin' about" with a concept or a "tool", with their
professional confidence in muddling thru frustrating
challenges. (Martha Stone Wiske and David Perkins
write about this process in their book, TEACHING FOR
UNDERSTANDING; as does Alfred North Whitehead in his
book THE AIMS OF EDUCATION, he calls this "the stage
of romance").
  I am not so "Pollyanna"  as to think that every
child must muddle thru every process from the
get-go...but, I think we should be careful not to
excise some healthy anxiety from the learning equation
too quickly and too often. Mihalyi Csikszentmihalyi
writes quite convincingly and eloquently about the
delicate balance between anxiety and the growth of
ability and self-efficacy (his books FLOW; CREATIVITY;
and TALENTED TEENAGERS are quite provocative on this
matter).
     The teacher's timely interventions and
scaffolding of each students journey into
understanding of more complex challenges is the
musicianship and artistry of teaching; when to "teach"
and when to question, challenge and support. I've
tried for my entire career to design ME (the teacher)
out of as much of this  process as is possible. To
design experiences that engage students at an access
point they feel comfortable with almost
immediately...but, not a dumbed down curricular
task...but, a challenge that quickly leads them into
self-empowerment and complexity appropriate to their
interest and ability level at any given point. This is
the never-ending challenge that drives me every day.
    I presently co-direct a Virtual Distance Animation
program  called ACME that utilizes this approach with
H.S. and University students across the nation...it is
a derlicate balance every telecast...AND, we've added
to the mix bi-weekly interventions and critique and
challenges from professionals in the field...when a
student, a teacher and a class think that they've "got
it" they can "up the ante" and show it to a
professional in the field. We call this "who
sez?".This "social validation process" exists in the
real world; and I believe it is crucial for the
development of not only the students, but quite
possibly more enlightenening for we teachers, to
engage in this "dance" of reconciliation and
critque.(Again, Csikszentmihalyi's book CREATIVITY
really gets into this delicate, but real, social
"dance").
     If I hadn't opened my classroom doors and my
curriculum to field professional critque my strategies
and personal understanding would have grown at a
snails pace. Frank Thomas, Chuck Jones and Bill Scott
helped me become a bridge to the future for my
students. But, professional intervention can become
mere training in technique if we don't watch out for
balance between personal expression and principled
instruction...a question of insightful design,timely
intervention and teacher "musicianship" and ongoing
reflection about our own practice, focused on student
evidence and performance...and, finally a dash, or
whatever you can get, of "who sez?"
    I think one of the many great experiments that
"Squeak" may launch many of us into is just such
reflections, observations, dialogue and collections of
anecdotal evidence...hopefully some patterns may
emerge...what a great journey it will be!
             Thanks Jim and John for stimulating me so
much this morning...now, back to it!   Dave Master
                           <dave_master_edu at yahoo.com>