Squeaking in sixth grade

Dave Master dave_master_edu
Fri Apr 18 14:53:20 PDT 2003

Cathleen,
  Thanks for contributing such a cogent and reflective
email to the ongoing (probably for the rest of our
careers!) dialogue.  I don't have time this week to
respond or add, but my experiences for 17 years ion my
classroom of overlapping grade and ability levels was
very similar...also, your points on gender
differences! Thanks for the insights and sharing your
experiences.  If you haven't already read Wenger' and
Lave' book on LEGITIMATE PERIPHERAL LEARNING I think
you will find it hits on some of your questions...they
don't specifically focus on classroom cultures, but
the community and apprentice cultures they focus on
illuminate how humans react and act when grouping
informally to learn. Enjoy...and, again thanks for
sharing.  Dave Master
--- Cathleen Galas <cgalas at ucla.edu> wrote:

> >Thank you John, Scott, Dave, Naala and Florin.  The
> messages this
> >last week have been stimulating, and great fodder
> for my own
> >thoughts on using Squeak.
> >	From the few weeks I've been using Squeak in my
> sixth grade
> >classes, I have some informal observations.
> >	This year is the first year I've had a one grade
> class.
> >During the last several years I had fourth and
> fifth grade together,
> >and before that fifth and sixth.  I find many
> advantages to having
> >two grades together.  Just having students for the
> two years versus
> >only one enables me as a teacher to know the
> student better and
> >therefore be a better teacher to that student.  It
> also offers an
> >opportunity to use a mentor system, which I've used
> in this setting
> >for over 10 years.  However, this year I have about
> one-third of my
> >students from my last years 4-5 class.  This means
> I have about
> >17/54 for a third year, and the rest are new to me
> this year.  This
> >third has allowed the apprenticeship model to
> function in the
> >classroom.  Pieces of the classroom culture that
> are important to
> >me, such as classroom discourse, and the use of
> technology tools
> >have been built into the classrooom structure this
> year  informally
> >and passed on successfully.
> >	One observation I have about introducing Squeak to
> my classes
> >in the past two weeks is the comfort level with a
> new technology.
> >The students I've had for three years have used
> Logo in design
> >projects in science about three times a year, one
> of which usually
> >had a research base.  The students new to my class
> have not come
> >with as much technology expertise or comfort.  They
> all used Logo in
> >the fall, and have been introduced to several other
> technology
> >applications that were new to them.  The old-timers
> seem to have
> >more comfort in the new setting with Squeak.  They
> seem to have a
> >higher threshold for working through problems,
> intuiting the new
> >platform, and a higher frustration level.  They are
> more apt to be
> >able to "mess around" to which Dave also refers.
> The new timers seem
> >to want direction and input and are a bit less
> comfortable trying to
> >make something work, and are a bit less willing to
> play with the
> >numbers to see what happens, for example when they
> change the ratios
> >on the wheel heading.  They would prefer a clear
> [...]
=== message truncated ===