Introducing children and/or school to Squeak

James Howe jwh
Fri Apr 18 14:53:20 PDT 2003

I have two sons, ages 7 and 10, who attend a local charter school.  The
school has a very nice computer lab with both Macintosh and Windows-based
PCs.  The school currently covers K-5 but in the fall will be expanding to
include grades 6-8.  The school does use computers in conjunction with the
curriculum, but the students are pretty much limited to the use of
HyperStudio to do their work.

I am very interested in getting Squeak introduced to our school.  I think
it would offer the students the ability to do far more than
HyperStudio.  However, I'm not sure how to get the school to look into
Squeak.  Are there any Squeak-based curriculums available which I could
demo to the teachers to show how Squeak might be used in a school
environment?  I know I could show them Squeakland, but I think they would
want to have some more ideas on how to actually teach and use Squeak.  Even
if the school doesn't want to use Squeak, I work with a couple of people
with school age kids who are interested in introducing Squeak to our
children.  I would be very interested in ideas for projects for kids in the
7-12 age group and tips on how to introduce Squeak to kids.

Thanks.