Active Essays on Computer Music

Mark Guzdial guzdial
Fri Apr 18 14:53:36 PDT 2003

Thanks for the advice, Mike.  I'll add the Rossing book to my swiki
(or feel free to add it yourself -- it's a swiki :-)

For me, the issue hasn't been a comprehensive text, but finding one
that's accessible.  I'm not a musician, an electrical engineer, a
physicist, nor a mathematician, and most books assume background in
one or more of these areas.  I'm looking to understand this stuff
from a computer science perspective.  The Dodge and Jerse book is the
best I've found, but even there, with no actual implementations, I'm
not sure if I grokked it right.  For example, it's important for an
oscillator unit generator to accept negative amplitudes and
frequencies, but they don't quite understand what you're supposed to
do with them.  I'm not sure that I implemented that right.

On a less technical level, the active essay format works for computer
music, in my opinion.  There's so much that just doesn't work for me
at the text-only level.  For me, some of the critical moments in my
understanding worked as active essay kinds of activities, not
text-based ones:
- When I played with changing the size of the oscillator's wave
table, I could really hear the concept of "signal-to-noise ratio."
- It was so wonderful to use the Squeak WaveEditor to play with the
waveforms I produced, and really see the different shapes and see
that the FFTs showed what I thought I was synthesizing.
- A really neat moment was when I had built my own FM synthesizer
(the technique of sound synthesis that Squeak uses) and then looked
at what John Maloney had written and finally started to understand it.

Mark

>>Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 00:12:19 +0100
>>To: squeakland at squeakland.org
>>From: Mike Roberts <mike at mjr104.co.uk>
>>Subject: Re: Active Essays on Computer Music
>>Sender: owner-squeakland at squeakland.org
>>
>> >From: Mark Guzdial <guzdial at cc.gatech.edu>
>> >I now have six active essays on computer music up at:
>> >
>> >http://swiki.cc.gatech.edu:8080/compMusic/ActiveEssays
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've haven't had time to try out these computer music active essays yet, or
>>sadly much squeak for that matter, but I thought I would peer out from the
>>shadows of these lists :-)  These active essays look quite exciting.
>>
>>I noticed the 'others to recommend?' comment in your 'books' page on the
>>swiki.  Dodge&Jerse and Csound (to some extent) were necessary reading for
>>my UK degree course and I'd like to offer another book which I found
>>invaluable:
>>
>>The Science of Sound, Thomas D. Rossing.  ISBN 0-201-15727-6 (Mine's a 2nd
>>Edition)
>>
>>It's quite comprehensive (~600 pages) but is very nicely structured.  As
>>the title might indicate, it details many aspects of sound, including: wave
>>theory, acoustics, psychoacoustics, musical instruments, the voice and the
>>use of electronics.
>>
>>Looking through your syllabus I thought it would make a nice reference text
>>or at least a good diversion if you find yourself in a large library.
>>
>>regards
>>
>>Mike
>>:-)

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu