A question about image versions

Mike Roberts mike
Fri Apr 18 14:53:36 PDT 2003

Hi,

I've been having some problems trying to get Mark's Sound active essays
working.  I wanted to work with them off-line so I downloaded them to file
and tried loading them from the World menu.

I hope you don't mind me asking some basic questions; i'm new to all this :-)

I started off by grabbing the 3.0 image running on Ian Piumarta's
unmodified VM for linux.

When I try and load the projects I get an
Error: subscript is out of bounds: 0
as the Parser is scanning tokens.

I get the same error on a #3545 3.1alpha image.  I haven't got the latest
development image yet, so that is next on my list of things to try along
with building Lex's patched vm.

I hunted around for tips and thought that I might have not downloaded the
files in binary form so I got them again.  Still no luck I'm afraid.  I was
running out of things to try but before posting a question here I figured I
should try and get them running locally in the squeakland vm.  You can
invoke the vm plugin from the command line so I did that and I manage to get

howsoundworks8.pr
SqueakMusicTools.2.pr

to work.  Great! (I really like the interactive format)

but with the others I get

MessageNotUnderstood: nextPutAll:
just after it does a ProjectLoading ... :withView  (I think ?)

Would someone mind checking if I have sane data files.
For example:

subtractive.pr
file size: 395960
md5sum:    16cae9db107facefc33e480fe600728c

So, any help appreciated.

I was wondering what the general advice was on using different versions of
the image; and possibly tweaked VMs as well.  Is there a preferred route to
travel?

I don't mind keeping different images around but I'd obviously like to use
the one that is most useful to other people if I generate something that
other peole might like to play with.

I'd like to develop an Active Essay that explores the subject of rhythm in
music so I'm going to start my explorations there.

Thanks
Mike
:-)