Enlarging the flap tab size

Scott Wallace scott
Fri Apr 18 14:54:02 PDT 2003

At 11:23 PM +0100 3/12/02, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

>How do I enlarge the tab size of flaps so that they can me more easily
>grasped? Resizing with the yellow halo does not work.

Hi, Hannes,

(1)  The size of a textual flap tab is determined by the size of the
text it is showing.

So to make textual tabs larger, make the *text* larger.  To do that,
just bring up the desktop ("world") menu and follow "appearance..."
to "system fonts..." to "flaps font".  Choose a suitably large font,
and observe the results.

(2)  Another approach is to use "graphical" tabs instead of textual
tabs.  You can draw (or import) any graphic you want, of any size,
and make it be the graphic shown in any tab.  This is one very easy
way to provide a completely "personalized" look to your Squeak
desktop.

To do this, bring up the halo menu for a flap tab, and choose "use
graphical tab".  The tab will change to a graphic, initially showing
a squeaky mouse.

Now there two ways you can change that squeaky mouse into the graphic
you really want:

*  Bring up the halo on the Sketch inside the tab, and hit the
repaint handle; now use the painting tools to transform the mouse
into whatever you wish.

*  Bring up the halo on the graphical tab, and choose "choose new
graphic" from the halo menu.  This will give you a little graphical
chooser that will allow you to cycle among all the pictures known to
the system.  All graphics that have been imported, all graphics that
have been drawn, and all graphics that have been grabbed from the
screen will show up in this chooser.  Hit OK when you find the
graphic you want to use.

Good luck!

   -- Scott