children, learning, information, technology

Doreen Nelson doreennelson
Fri Apr 18 14:54:03 PDT 2003

YEAH John!!!!! They hate to hear the truth.... let's keep telling it.

Did I send you the news about the MA Program???? Finally, I am making
significant progress.  This December, only three people had enrolled and it
appeared as if the program might fold up as you know, the university does
little to promote it.  Using funds from the Center for City Building
Education, I won a big battle..

As of today, 52 people are enrolled to start a new cohort group this spring
April 4th to be exact..

Over a six-year period from 1995?2001 the average size of a group was 7-10.
You can imagine what the impact will be with another 50 disciples who each
have a new crop of students each year.

I never thought that I would see the day when I wouldn?t have to beg
teachers and institutions to go on with this work.  It is so slow and so
labor intensive.  Yet, as the numbers grow, the collected data showing huge
improvement in reading, mathematics, science and school attendance makes it
clear that we are in some small way saving children?s lives.

If you have a few moments look at my debut as a talk show host al la Charlie
Rose.  The streaming video can be found by going to video.csupomona.edu -
the link called EDUCATION that WORKS is right in the middle near the top of
the page. It's not so easy to watch on the computer, and you have to
download the video player ( they give you instructions)  but at least you
can get the flavor of the program.

I'm doing the second show next week and plan to do a bunch just to get
practice.... so would be glad to have any comments

Where are you with piece and when can we celebrate?

Doreen