FWD: Re: Newby need for help

Michael Rueger m.rueger
Fri Apr 18 14:54:06 PDT 2003

From: Naala Brewer <naala.brewer at nk-technologies.com>
Subject: Re: Newby need for help
To: squeakland at squeakland.org

--- Anindita <anindita at media.mit.edu> wrote:

> Naala Brewer has written a couple of tutorials also,
> more on etoys, doing
> things like animations and making Pong, and she has
> many student projects
> posted at:
> http://www.csac.chem.ku.edu/SqueakProjects

Actually, there is a wide range of tutorials at the
above link, including tutorials on high-level
Mathematics and Physical Science concepts.  Also
included are all of the basic mechanics that a newby
would need to get started utilizing the etoy level to
its maximum capacity..

Here is the list (only 4 tutorials are on things like
making animations and pong):

Tutorial Projects
(http://www.csac.chem.ku.edu/SqueakProjects/2)

1.Objects and Handles
This tutorial will show you how to invoke the
different colored handles and how to use them to
manipulate objects in Squeak.

2.Viewers and Squeak Code
This tutorial will show you how to use the different
tiles within the viewer to make automations in Squeak.

3.Recording, Midi's and Instruments
This tutorial will show you how to capture sounds and
make your own midi instrument out of the sound you
captured.

Exploration Projects
(http://www.csac.chem.ku.edu/SqueakProjects/4)

4.Cycloids - see a cycloid in action and how to make
one yourself.

5.Circles (Tangents and Curvature) - see what a
tangent to a curve is and how you can make a dynamic
representation of the tanget to a circle.

6. Dynamic Variations - see dynamic variations in
speed and animation.

7.Gravity - see the force of gravity in action and
test different gravitational forces yourself.

8.Ratios and Angles - see ratios and angles in dynamic
action.

Beginner Projects
(http://www.csac.chem.ku.edu/SqueakProjects/2)

9.Contrast Screen Saver
This tutorial will show you how to create a simple
screen saver in Squeak.

10. 2-Frame Animation
This tutorial will show you how to create a 2-frame
animation in Squeak.

11.Drive A Car
This tutorial will show you how to make your own car
and how to drive it in Squeak.

12.Pong
This tutorial will show you how to make your own pong
game in Squeak.