Fill in the Blank

Edwin Pilobello e_pilobello
Fri Apr 18 14:54:11 PDT 2003

I have a 2-hour, 3-session class called "Getting Ready for Computers".
It's one of the least expensive classes that Saturday Academy offers.
It's also the earliest Visual Basic intro course that a 4th grader can
access.  Hardly able to type, these young students delight at their
first "Hello World" or "Smiley on a button" program.  This quickly
dispatches the first session, then what?

I've tweaked this class for over three years.  I think it's time for a
new approach.  As stated, I want to create a class on tech literacy
targetted at the same novice market.  This time, I'm going to use
Squeak.

Fee-based VB experiences are limited to class time.  To encourage home
study, I've used freeware MSW Logo. It's a tricky switch defended by
"It's free, it's simple, it's for kids, etc."  The turtle gives
immediate feedback, the syntax is easy and that's pretty much where it
ends.  There are versions of Logo (i.e. Microworlds, Terrapin, Imagine)
that support drag&drop story-boarding and prototyping).  Unfortunately,
site licenses do not extend to the homes.

Rik Smoody is going to teach the very first Squeak class offered by
Saturday Academy.  He entitled it "Games Programming".  It's full and
probably has a waiting list.  His target is 6th to 8th grade students.
I want to target the 4th to 6th graders in the Fall.  Same inexpensive
format which would probably sell a few of Mark Guzdial's books.

Before I re-invent the wheel, does anyone have a class outline to share?
If not, I figure within a year, I'd will have taught 8 to 10 of these
classes.  I'll debrief you folks are I go.

Cheers,
Edwin